The town of Science Hill was named by Willie Bobbitt. Mr. Bobbitt established the post office in 1874, but it didn't have a proper name at that time. He enjoyed studying Science, so he called the post office and town "Science Hill". Science Hill was incorporated on April 8, 1882.
In 1894 the Science Hill School began meeting in a small one room log house. The house was located just outside the city limits in a field that is just outside of the city limits. The seats in the school building consisted of split logs that were made into benches.